Plastic Free July® is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities.
Being environmentally conscious at Performance in People (PiP) is important to us. We have a dedicated ‘Green Team’, who action and think of new ways we can lower our carbon footprint. We also have a ‘Gardening Club’ who encourage and contribute to our environment both inside and outside the office grounds (we’ve grown our own chilli’s, potatoes and greens!)
We felt it only right to be part of this year's Plastic Free July® - a movement that has inspired 100+ million participants in 190 countries. Recognising that making a small change will collectively make a massive difference to our communities.
We completed a beach litter clean, hosted a ‘green quiz’, played daily showings of influential programmes such as Leonardo DiCaprio’s ‘Before the Flood', Zac Efron’s ‘Down to Earth’, and legendary David Attenborough’s ‘Blue Planet’. We also raised awareness through daily hints/tips and informational assets around the use of plastic.
And most importantly… a cake sale was held to raise money for Isle of Wight charity ‘Gift to Nature’ who help to conserve the Isle of Wight countryside spots and have recently created a tree nursery with the aim to replant 1,500 native trees on the Island each year.
Some really easy small steps we could all take – starting today:
- Buy loose fruit and veg
- Stop buying plastic water bottles
- Avoid takeaway coffees or buy a reusable cup (Amazon have lots of bamboo/eco travel mugs for less than £20).
- Carry a reusable shopping bag
- Ditch cling film for an eco-friendly alternative (cotton wraps, reusable silicon wraps or simply using Tupperware you have at home)
- Look at swapping to eco-friendly cosmetics (cutting out face wipes, buying paper cotton buds, using soap bars etc.)
- Start to use eco-friendly cleaning products (utilise refillable options (Ocean Saver or local shops), smol subscriptions, ditching plastic sponges etc.)